You’re not allowed to take to Sri Lanka narcotics, psychotropic substances, precursor drugs, pornographic and pro-religious literature, as well as cigarettes.
The following items are restricted in entry to Sri Lanka and must be declared to the customs service at the airport:
- gold, jewellery, gems and other precious metals;
- liquor and wines;
- cosmetics, medicinal drugs and devices;
- telecommunication equipment;
- foreign currencies more than 15000 USD or equivalent. If you intend to take back 5000 USD or more, please declare the entire amount;
- 20000 LKR, only for Srilankan citizens;
- animals (must have a rabies certificate), plants (including specimens) and their parts;
- firearms, ammunition, air guns and explosives;
- any other items which require special permits or licenses.
All non-Sri Lankan residents are allowed to take the following:
- 1.5 liters of spirits and 2 bottles of wine;
- 250 milliliters of eau de cologne and a small quantity of perfume;
- souvenirs not intended for commercial use, up to the value of 250 USD;
- personal effects.